Let’s start with the basics before we get to the Whatsapp tips and how to use group chat in WhatsApp.
What is WhatsApp
Whatsapp is a Facebook-owned messenger system with over 1 billion users, it’s the most popular messaging app in the world. You can send text messages, photos, videos, contacts, locations, great groups, and oh yeah make and receive calls. All for free. (for now)
Online Communities or Chat Groups
As a community manager on many platforms in my 10 years in the social media business, Whatsapp has always been a favorite for its ease, randomness and more personal niche community groups.
Groups for businesses – to build trust by providing value and allowing customer and clients to get to know your business, You will never find a better space devoted to discussions around your business or brand and which allow you to be directly involved in these conversations. Every brand should be investing in creating a community now, its the way forward.
And for pleasure – networking groups or hobby groups – to connect to like-minded and sometimes different people and learn from them. Whatsapp to me is more like Twitter and the others chat groups or community groups are like Facebook.
Whatsapp groups can only have 256 people in them, these groups create the best communities for people to really network, connect and really get to know each other, Thomas Power and I call our networking groups “online pubs” because people pop in and out, you don’t have to stick around all day and read everything. Just see what is there when you arrive and join in. Some people still struggling with How to use group chat in WhatsApp but we try to help as much as we can. We don’t really have many rules but we do hope that everyone has common sense.
- Do Not Sell
- Use Common Sense
- Do Not Private Message Other Members without discussing it in the group first (Groups are not your own directories)
- Support Each Other
- Be Polite
- Be Kind
- Be Helpful
- Be You
- Always be thinking of someone who you can connect together or someone that might benefit from the wisdom of the group.
- ORS – Open Random and Supportive – This is what we call Network thinking.
Telegram is great for larger groups who need more organisation, the Blockchain or you might say Crypto world has taken this over. They love it and it does seem to work very well. You can even use bots if you have huge rowdy communities which can happen with larger groups. These groups also need a few more rules so its a bit more difficult to be open random and supportive as we are in our networking groups, but we try.
I get that some people like to lurk and just watch what is going on – but on Whatsapp we have limited space – we don’t have space for lurkers, besides they don’t make very good chat friends. Facebook groups are too easy to lurk in, many people just join them and some never bother to even visit them. Think about it, how many groups have you joined on Facebook… Sadly this has forwarded that mentality a little to Whatsapp and Telegram – where people are asked to join and they join and that’s it … they might think they are being nice by joining but they are just taking up space we need. We are starting to get less of these people thank goodness. Besides numbers are not important in Business groups engagement is.
You might only get 10% engagement in some groups especially groups that are too big, and people feel overwhelmed and not connected to the subject or brand. For instance, you maybe have 2000 in a group but only 200 are actually engaged.
Our Challenge with Whatsapp for us is to make sure that everyone in the group is engaged. So you have 256 in the group – 256 are engaged.
Dunbar’s number – which is a theoretical limit to the number of people whom a person can sustain a stable social relationships with is 150 so we are pushing it with 256 but it works.
How to use group chat in WhatsApp
So finally after all that waffling, we can get to the Whatsapp Tips and How to use group chat in WhatsApp – I am so passionate about these things sorry
When you first download Whats app one of the MOST important things is to let people know who you are.
How to set your profile picture and name on WhatsApp on your iPhone
I would think most phones are the same its just in settings.
Adding Your Profile photo on WhatsApp
- Go to Settings
- Tap your profile photo > Camera icon.
- You can choose a photo from your gallery, take a new photo with your camera or remove your current photo.
- Also remember to check that you have your photo set to everyone – not on contacts only.
a) To to WhatsApp – Click Settings
b) Tap Account
c) Tap Privacy
d) Profile photo – should say Everyone.
Adding your name
- Go to Settings.
- Tap your profile photo and then tap your name and add your real name
- Tap about and put your @twitter or your website address.
On Whatsapp Web
- Tap your Profile image top left
- Tap the pencil to add your name and you’re about.
It’s so important in groups that people know who you are and what you look like, you might think its great advertising to have your logo as a profile picture but people do not connect with logos they connect with people.
- Some groups have a topic, it will be in the info section, if they have a topic, make sure you keep to that topic.
- Always introduce yourself when you join the group. Doesn’t have to be long – Hi I’m Michelle – so and so invited me because I work in Social Media.
- Do not get into heated discussions with just one person, if you want to carry on – suggest in the group you do this outside of the group in DM
- Do not DM people from the group that you do not know unless you have been given permission within the group
- Always add your name and photo
- Do not forward or copy other peoples messages or images without asking them first (Be super nice and credit the group and person you forwarded from)
- Be Kind and Listen to others
You might also find this blog post useful – If you use Whatsapp you must use Two-Step Verification – Learn How
Another thing that I’ve found valuable when joining a group is to actually turn off notifications. You might wonder why but when you are in a lot of busy groups you do not want that to keep going off it will drive you crazy 😉
Turn off Notifications
- Tap chats
- Next Chat group to open it
- Tap the name at the top
- Tap “Mute” Choose between 8hours/1 week or 1 year
- Tap Back
On the PC its much easier as usual.
You see the Chats on the left of the screen
- Click the arrow down
- See the options
- Click Mute and select how long you want to mute for.
How to Reduce Whatsapp storage
- Tap settings
- Then chats and calls
- Next Delete all chats/Clear all chats
- “Clear all chats” if you want to delete all your messages but want to keep your individual and group conversations.
Another tip I’ve already written about is >> how to stop Whatsapp automatically saving photos to your phone
So now you are in a group – if its busy you will see many messages going by and numbers – besides the numbers there should be a name – hopefully. That’s one of the reasons that we add our name because if you want to talk to someone directly you can @ them put @and start to write their name and it will come up with some suggestions.
Or you can click a message and you will get a drop-down list of options
- More (Delete/Speak/More)
If you want to share an image or location or contact
Tap the + bottom left of the screen.
you will see the options
- Photo & Library
If you want to see who else is in the group or who are the admins you can click the game of the group – group info and scroll down.
The all-new WhatsApp Stickers
Another fun thing you can now do with WhatsApp is to use Stickers – WhatsApp has just launched these –so you will need to have the latest version of the App.
I’m not a big fan but I know people are. These are in addition to the Gifs and Emojis you can use in the app.
You can then download sticker packs from the app and use them within your chats.
There is what looks like a note icon – where you would normally type your message, here you can choose your stickers.
You can even turn your own photos into WhatsApp Stickers. I have not tried this yet but it is possible. You can use third-party stickers makers to create them, that’s another blog post.
So I hope you got some great tips from this blog post – How to use group chat in WhatsApp. I think these things are really important and should help you on your road to Whatsapp Chat groups.
Please don’t hesitate to ask me any other questions you might have (this got far too long as more questions came up) on any of my networks @michelledh on twitter probably the easiest. Also if you want to know the best WhatsApp or Telegram groups for your niche – And look out for invites for groups on my networks.