There appears to be a bug on some Facebook pages during creation of the page – and you might be thinking, Why can’t I get my Facebook Username or Custom URL
You try to enter your prefered username and Facebook sends up a message saying
Username isn’t available – This Page isn’t eligible to have a username.
It used to be that you had to have 25 likes to get your username or Custom URL. but for some time now that hasn’t been necessary.
Why can’t I get my Facebook Username or Custom URL
So, you’ve created a new page or maybe you are finally getting around to creating your page username, not sure why you waited so long to do that, that should be done right away but still. Know you know that having a page username will make your page found easier.
This is what happens is as you begin to type in your username, a red message pops up – This page isn’t eligible to have a username – and as you keep typing this message disappears and you get a green tick saying that this name is acceptable.
Click enter and a box with the title Username isn’t Available then pops up, which is odd as it gave the green tick but then underneath it says:
This page isn’t eligible to have a username
It seems to be something to do with the admin privileges, and it’s just a bug.
If you go to Facebook’s help pages for How do I create a username for my Page? You just see this.
You’ll need to be an admin to create a username for your Page. Your Page’s username will appear below your Page’s name and in your Page’s URL to help people find and remember your Page. An example of a username could be @JaspersMarket if the Page name is Jasper’s Market.To create a username for your Page:
- Click Create Page @Username on the left side of your Page
- Enter a username
- If the username is available, click Create UsernameIf the username you want is already taken or not approved, you’ll need to choose a different one. Make sure the username you’re trying to create follows the guidelines for custom usernames.Keep in mind that new Pages may not immediately be able to create a username, and that your Page’s username may be removed because of inactivity.
What you need to do is add another admin. (Your friend or your own if you have another account)
- Click Settings at the top of your Page.
- Click Page Roles in the left column.
- Type a name or email in the box and select the person from the list that appears.
- Click Editor to select a role from the drop-down menu.
- Click Add and enter your password to confirm.
Once they have accepted the job as admin, they can then go ahead and add the Facebook username. I think if you downgrade the new admin to editor you should be able to create the Custom URL with the original admin but I’m not sure.
This time you won’t have to go to settings but you will see the option to create your Facebook username under your name on the left its says Create Page @Username.
This option wasn’t there before when and we tried to add the username from settings.
You should then be able to create your page username without this error.
And there is the Fix for
Username isn’t available
This Page isn’t eligible to have a username.
Please share if this helped, thanks.